As part of my submissions for the Manchester homebrew expo in Manchester Beer Week at Beer Nouveau I brewed a Fullers Porter clone recipe.
This is one of my favourite commercial porter beers with great malty flavours and a hint of chocolate.
I used quite a few sources to put this recipe together and tried to stay as close to the information from Fullers website. A few substitutions had to be made for the bittering addition but I thought this would still get close to the real thing.
All Grain (23.00 l) ABV: 5.71 %
OG: 1.058 SG FG: 1.015 SG
IBUs: 33.0 IBUs Color: 52.5 EBC
- 4.50 kg – Pale Ale Malt
- 0.67 kg – Brown Malt
- 0.50 kg – Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
- 0.20 kg – Crystal, Medium
- 0.15 kg – Chocolate Malt
- 0.10 kg – Wheat, Torrified
Mash In (66.7 C for 60 min, 2 min rise)
- Add 18.93 l of water at 75.3 C
1:02 hours – Mash Complete
Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, 9.88 l, 9.88 l) of 76.0 C water
0 min – Add Ingredients
- 42.9 g – Northdown – Boil 60 min (26.7 IBUs)
50 min – Add Ingredients
- 35.4 g – Fuggle – Boil 10 min (6.3 IBUs)
- 0.30 tsp – Irish Moss – Boil 10 min
1:00 hours – End of Boil
1 pkg – SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis S-04)
Ale, Single Stage(One Stage)
Primary: 14 days at 19.4 C
Comparing mine to the real thing they were really close. The brown malt seemed to be the key factor. Mine had a bit more chocolate coming through and the commercial beer had a bit more caramel.
At the expo we were very lucky to be able to put our beers through a commercial pop up tap system from The Travelling Tap.
The Porter was named Feltham’s Threads and was on in between an American Amber I’d also brewed and the Imperial Stout from my earlier blog post. It was in good company with other beers from the Chorlton Homebrewers.
All in all it was received well and it was great to take part in another event hosted by Steve at Beer Nouveau.
Well, what a great Christmas and New Year that was!
To help celebrate, I kept good on my promise and made a shorter all grain brew to have a Porter ready for Christmas drinking
The Boil and Hop Additions
This was based on a recipe I had done back in May 2015 for a partial mash: part all grain – part liquid malt extract. I wanted to see if a smaller all grain batch would be any different, without the additional extract to bulk up the size of the batch. I had found that this had a slight twang to it – which seemed to be the one downside against getting a bigger batch in using the partial mash method.
I settled on the following BIAB recipe:
2.63kg Maris Otter
0.30kg Munich Malt
0.12kg Crystal 120
0.07kg Black Patent Malt
0.07kg Chocolate Malt
0.07kg Aromatic Malt
0.07kg Wheat Malt
0.07kg Carafa Special I
17 ltr Liquor
Mash @ 67C for 60mins
Sparge with 3-4 ltr @ 70C
15g Target (30mins)
11g Fuggles (15mins)
11g E.K Goldings (15mins)
11g Bramling Cross (15mins)
Pre Boil Gravity: 1044
Original Gravity: 1047
1 Pack of dry Windsor Danstar / Lallemande Yeast
Added 150g of a split of 50g each of demerara, muscovado and brown sugars (briefly boiled and cooled) during fermentation
Final Gravity: 1014
So to explain:
- I love Munich malt. It seems to end up in all my recipes. Don’t judge me – I have a favourite ingredient, ok?;
- This was more porter like than stout (my 2015 porter had verged more on the stout than porter side) so I was well pleased with this beer matching the style. The Carafa I is a de-husked roasted grain and this may have had an impact in keeping the harsher roast flavours in check;
- I really like Bramling Cross hops at the moment. They give a slight blackcurrant note to a beer and this was definitely evident in this. I could even suggest raising the late Bramling Cross addition to up this even more;
- I was off on my anticipated OG by quite a margin (I can’t rightly recall the numbers I was supposed to hit). I decided to add a few different brown sugars after the boil and once fermentation had started, to increase the alcohol level. I had read somewhere (mental note – one for a historic brewing post perhaps?) that porters had traditionally been brewed with a proportion of simple sugars and thought this would do well. I certainly could not taste anything off about this and it may have added something in the overall scheme of things;
- The Windsor yeast worked really well. I did re-hydrate it before pitching, and added some warmth during fermentation as it was so cold in the cellar (why did I not do a lager!);
- In a small barrel it carbonated well and was probably one of my best efforts yet. I bottled the other half in 500ml swing top bottles. I used carbonation drops but I think that the carbonation level was a little too much in the end.
- The head retention wasn’t great. It would pour well, but the head didn’t linger and certainly didn’t leave the lacing that you (or at least, I) want to see. I put the wheat malt in to supposedly help with this, and had stayed away from other adjuncts to avoid getting into Stout territory. I’ve found most of my brews have not had great head retention, and I’m not quite sure what to do to improve on this yet.
So to summarise: a great brew in the end although I was off my numbers. I have found the BIAB method to be a great start to All Grain, but my efficiency has been off and the constant watching of the mash temperature has probably played a big part in this, as has the crush of my grains.
The end result was brilliant and probably one of my most successful batches yet in terms of taste and drinkability. It even passed the “Dad” test – my Father and Father-in-Law both declaring it the one they have liked the best so far.
As seals of approval go, you can’t get much better than that.